Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Presto Pesto!


Fresh Basil.................................................................... Fresh Pesto Parm Pasta!

Pesto. Quick! What are you thinking? Either you're thinking, "Mmmm...yoummy!" or "No thanks, could you just post a cupcake recipe or something?" Lovers and haters alike, I am here to tell you that the pasta I made tonight rocked!

Typically, you would not find me sitting in the pantry eating pesto by the spoonfuls (that would actually be disgusting) and I do not recall ordering pesto ever at a restaurant. What I will tell you is that I am having a love affair with my herb garden. After you take a look at my herb garden pictured below, you will see that I am using the term "garden" rather loosely-as I only have 6 herbs planted in a long planter box.


There it is, my little (literally) garden.

Today while "gardening" (watering four pots), I thought, "Wow, I have a lot of basil." Being the true farmer I am, I decided I had to make something fresh from the land (or planter pot). Pesto requires a large quantity of basil, and that is how Tuesday became Pesto pasta night!

I know all that background was incredibly thrilling and now you are on the edge of your seat, heart racing, eagerly awaiting this recipe. So lets get to it!

Pesto Fuller-style. Yummy!
This is my ultimate favorite pesto. Its not overpowering, or too "pesto-ee." Its a little cheesier than your average pesto-sort of like if pesto and parmesan had a little pesto-parm baby.

1 cup basil leaves (pack the cup full)
3 cloves garlic
3/4 tsp sea salt-or regular salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 c virgin olive oil
2 TBSP room temp butter
1/4 c pine nuts
3/4 c parmesan cheese (I used some nice shredded)
Food processor (preferable) or blender
8-10 oz of fettuccine pasta or another kind if you prefer

  1. Boil water, add some salt and a little oil and cook the pasta to al dente. Drain and set aside
  2. While your pasta is cooking, add all the ingredients listed above, except the cheese and butter and blend until very incorporated and almost a paste like texture.
  3. Add the butter and 1/2 c of the cheese to paste mixture and puree or mix in food processor until blended.
  4. DO NOT heat the pesto. Add the pesto mixture to the warm pasta. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 of parmesan over the pasta and serve! Approx 4 medium size servings
FYI: Pesto is best fresh. You can keep a pesto mixture refrigerated up to a week. If you do this, pour a thin layer of olive oil over the top of the pesto mixture and cover with plastic wrap or in an air tight container.

No comments: